Hamilton, Ontario, boasts a diverse and ever-expanding economy. Built on a foundation of advanced manufacturing and highly-skilled citizens, Hamilton continues to attract new and innovative businesses in a variety of industries.
We Are Hamilton.
We Are Ready.
One of the nation’s most diversified economies, the fastest growing mid-sized city for tech talent and a fantastic community approach to supporting investment big and small.
Leverage Hamilton's industry
For a century, Hamilton’s economy was dominated by advanced manufacturing. Today, our economy is evolving around this legacy with the introduction of technologically-advanced and digitally-focused industries, creating a community that nurtures science and technology. Hamilton is Canada’s most diversified and one of Ontario’s fastest growing economies, and is continually ranked as one of the best places to invest in Canada.
Hamilton’s life sciences industry is a significant component of the research and innovation landscape. Hamilton boasts the second largest hospital network in Canada with over $4 billion in healthcare spending. Hamilton Health Services, St. Joseph’s Healthcare, Bay Area Health Trust, Innovation Factory, Synapse Life Sciences Consortium, McMaster University, and Mohawk College, among other innovators, form a collaborative cluster that utilizes technology to improve healthcare services.
Smart, Sustainable Transportation
Hamilton is Canada’s gateway for goods movement. Conveniently located in the center of the country’s busiest economic hub, Hamilton’s infrastructure supports all forms of transportation (rail, surface, air, and port) of people and goods. Innovators in this sector can find ample support through a variety of government funding opportunities, private investors, and services through incubator programs like the Centre for Integrated Transportation and Mobility.
Everything you need in one place
The City of Hamilton offers new and existing businesses access to a large labour pool, multimodal transportation, large customer base, and international markets. Located in Southern Ontario on the western tip of Lake Ontario, Hamilton is under an hour away from Toronto, Canada’s most densely populated and economically advanced region, and an hour away from several border crossings to the United States of America. With access to two Class 1 railways, an international airport with 24/7 operations and customs, Ontario’s largest port, and multiple major highways, you can reach any market; domestic and international.
Port of Hamilton
- Busiest of all Canadian Great Lake ports
- Multimodal transportation options available with direct rail access
- 26% of Canadian Great Lakes-St. Lawrence Seaway cargo moves through Hamilton
- In 2018, export cargo increased by 64%
- Key supply chains: steel, agri-food, manufacturing, construction material
Hamilton International Airport
- Canada’s largest overnight express cargo airport & hub for ecommerce
- 24/7 unrestricted operations
- 24 hour onsite Canada Customs
- 10,000ft & 6,000ft runways
- Developable land available on and off airport property
Rail & Surface Transportation
- Two Class 1 railways: Canadian Pacific & Canadian National Railway
- Direct connections to 400 series highways
- Intermodal/transload facilities available
- Direct rail-to-port capabilities
- Two major expressways run through Hamilton connecting to major highway systems (400 series, QEW and Hwy 6)
The right people for the job
Over two million people live within an hour of Hamilton. This pool of educated and skilled workers drives Hamilton’s economy and fosters the perfect ecosystem for innovation. Hamilton’s economy is diverse and new opportunities for career seekers are appearing all the time. With educational institutions like McMaster University and Mohawk College, Hamilton’s labour market is ready for the newest innovations.
Sound too good to be true?
Our diverse and rapidly growing economy, robust industry clusters, and highly-skilled workforce makes Hamilton the perfect place to start your business’s journey in Canada.